Dr. S. Zak Hallock
Dr. S. Zak Hallock
Call Us: 937-296-9672

Emergency Info


Do you have a dental emergency? We’ve provided some things you can do in case of injury. Contact our office if you need emergency care.


You can sometimes find relief from a toothache by rinsing around the tooth with warm salt water. This will help clean the area and remove any food particles. If you notice swelling, you can use an ice pack or a cold compress near the area. You may also get pain relief from over the counter medications. If the toothache lasts for longer than one day call our office to book an examination.

Bitten or Cut Lip, Cheek, or Tongue

Apply ice to the injured area to reduce pain and swelling. If you are bleeding, take a folded piece of gauze or clean cloth and apply firm, gentle pressure to the area. If the bleeding doesn’t stop within fifteen minutes seek medical attention.

Broken Tooth

If you break a tooth, ensure that there are no tooth fragments in your mouth because they are a choking hazard. Immediately seek emergency dental treatment. You can gently rinse the injured area with warm water and place an ice pack or cold compress over the area to relieve discomfort while you await treatment.

Knocked Out Tooth

Seek dental care immediately if you lose a tooth. If possible, keep the tooth. Handle the tooth by the crown and avoid touching the root. If possible, gently rinse the tooth and place it back in its socket. Hold the tooth in place until you see the dentist. If you can’t insert the tooth back into the socket, put it in a cup of milk or water and bring it to the dentist with you.

Broken Jaw

If you suspect your jaw is broken, tie your mouth closed with a towel or other piece of fabric. Go to the emergency room immediately.

Bleeding When a Baby Tooth Falls Out

Take a small folded piece of gauze and put it over the spot where the tooth was. Have your child bite down on the gauze for fifteen minutes to stop the bleeding. If the bleeding continues, call your dentist.

Cold Sores and Canker Sores

Speak to a pharmacist to select an over-the-counter medication. If the sores get worse or persist, speak to your dentist.